Whitehawk 0-2 Bishop’s Stortford

Whitehawk’s chances of survival took a blow on Saturday after Bishop’s Stortford completed a smash and grab win in the glorious East Sussex sunshine.

The game started with a 25 minute delay after the visitors were delayed coming down from Hertfordshire following severe traffic congestion on the M25, but the delay seemed to suit the Hawks after some great early chances by Yannis Ambroisine and Connor Tighe, including a free-kick from the forward which somehow stayed out after hitting both posts. However, it was the visitors who took the lead after Whitehawk failed to deal with a Jamie Cureton free-kick, allowing Alfie Mason to tap in for a 1-0 half time lead.

The visitors continued to offer little in attack and they were nearly punished as Tighe once again had a fantastic strike hit the woodwork from 25 yards out. They continued to push for what would have been a more than deserved equaliser with Arthur Janata making a great save to deny substitute Aaron Goode, this followed a good header a few minutes earlier by the defender which narrowly went over the bar. The killer blow for the Hawks came 5 minutes from time as keeper Melvin Minter went up for a home corner and failed to get back in time from as the visitors cleared and then broke from it with 2 Blues players through on an open goal with Olly Miles scoring the easiest goal of his life, an easy tap in, to take three points back to Hertfordshire on what would probably be a more enjoyable coach trip than the one they had down to Sussex.

Hawks – Minter, Walsh, Muggeridge ©, Ambroisine, Christie, Rodrigues, Ebuzoeme (Unwin 75’), Tighe (Goode 75’), Kissock, Ovenden (Amoo 83’), Pinney – Subs Not Used: Deda, Emberson

Blues – Janata, Renee, Sampayo, Thomas, Henshaw ©, Haines (Ogie 61’), Worman, Craddock, Cureton, Miles, Mason (Robbins 50’) – Sub Not Used: Belaid

Goals – Mason 22’, Miles 88’ (Bishop’s Stortford)

Yellow Card – Haines (Bishop’s Stortford)

Attendance – 357

Hawks Man of the Match – Connor Tighe